Dental Emergency Tips to Save Your Smile
A dental emergency can consist of a variety of issues: a broken tooth, knocked-out teeth, broken wires on braces, lost fillings, an abscess, and even a toothache. No matter what happens, you should address the issue with an emergency dentist in Bradenton immediately. Ignoring the pain and brushing off the issue can lead to the need for more extensive and, quite possibly, expensive work in the future. Of course, for proper dental care in an emergency, you need to know the steps to take to safeguard your teeth, gums, and mouth until you reach professional help.
Use these tips to ensure that in the event of a dental emergency, you’ll have the best chance of saving your smile.
- If you have a toothache, do not place aspirin directly on the aching tooth or surrounding gums. Rinse your mouth with warm water and gently floss to remove any trapped food that could be causing the pain. Contact a dentist in Bradenton even if the pain goes away. Pain is an indication that something is wrong, and the problem should not go untreated.
- If a tooth gets knocked out, hold the by its crown and gently rinse it with warm water to remove any dirt. Do not remove any attached gum tissue or scrub the tooth. Submerge the tooth in a cup of milk—or warm water containing a pinch of salt—to keep it moist and take it with you to a dentist immediately. If you receive professional dental care within an hour of the tooth being knocked out, it may be possible to save it.
- If you think you have a cracked a tooth, rinse your mouth with warm water and apply a cold compress to minimize any swelling and see a dentist in Bradenton as soon as you can. Cracks in teeth are often hard to see, but can cause problems if you don’t promptly get proper dental care.
- If an object becomes stuck between your teeth or lodged in your mouth, try to remove it gently with dental floss. Do not try to remove it with a sharp or pointed instrument, which could injure your teeth or gums. See your dentist in Bradenton as soon as possible.
- When you visit an emergency dentist, be sure to provide as many details about the incident as possible and bring as many of the broken pieces of the tooth or gum tissue that you can locate.
- Do not ignore a dental emergency. If you’re concerned about the financial burden, talk to your dentist. You can find an affordable dentist in Bradenton who offers payment plans for a dental emergency.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Bradenton, call Advanced Dental Care of Bradenton today at (941) 357-1292 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Bradenton. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care of Bradenton, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care of Bradenton.